5.21.2010

To IMAGINE is everything...

To know is nothing at all, to imagine is everything.

This was the first SPOP quote that I encountered as a staffer at UCI (forest green year).  It set the tone for our spring training and subsequent work in the summer.  Seeing the quote printed on every piece of material, wearing t-shirts with the quote on the back, and hearing it spoken by the coordinators of the program became a tradition to me that ingrained the power of words and understanding.  I particularly enjoyed the emphasis on imagination as a creativity-lover and one who practices 'dreaming' up new ideas.  Coming back to this quote, with a number of years more experience :), and a different understanding of how things work in the world, it is wonderful to see how some of the pieces of our lives in the past fit perfectly together.  I love this quote for what it meant to me back then, and what it now reminds me to see as an educator and life-long learner.