5.20.2010

When I dare to be powerful...

"When I dare to be powerful - to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid."
--- Audre Lorde ---

This is another favorite quote which happens to be in a large framed photograph right above my computer at work.   When I first started at the job, I didn't know what impact this quote would have on my work and my personal capacity for action, but I often find myself glancing up at this big poster, seeing her face with her arms in the air, and thinking about how I can dissipate my own fears in life.  I have also heard this particular quote mentioned time and time again at a workshop that our department hosts each year on the 'imposter syndrome.'  This quote is a reminder not to let your fears stand in the way of what you want to do, and emphasizes how important it is to identify and develop a strong vision for our own lives.  Audre Lorde was a powerful poet/activist whose words demonstrate a wisdom beyond what is written on paper.  Enjoy!

The Collected Poems of Audre LordeI Am Your Sister: Collected and Unpublished Writings of Audre Lorde (Transgressing Boundaries: Studies in Black Politics and Black Communities)Warrior Poet: A Biography of Audre Lorde