5.25.2011

Simply put...

Simply put, there is nothing, nothing in the world, that can take the place 
of intentionally listening or speaking to another.

The transition back to life on land has been a gradual one.  I am doing my best to stay present in each moment because that is something I learned to cherish while at sea.  I am extremely aware of being where I am, but at times I still feel very far away.  I've decided I'm going to take some time on this blog to reflect and recap the journey through inspiring quotes.  One thing I noticed on our voyage was the deep level of connection that people seemed to have with one another.  Together, we would eat our meals out on the back deck, overlooking the ocean having anything from deep to fun/light conversations - but all were engaging.  I think the main reason for this level of connection was that we had limited internet service (due to bandwith) and didn't have cellphone service.  That's right, for about 3 months out at sea we had lots of opportunities to connect and very few electronic distractions.  It's not realistic or even possible to imagine a world without modern technology that in essence does connect us with one another, but it's nice to think about putting down the phone and stop texting and being present for whomever is there right in front of you.

The Wisdom of Love: Toward a Shared Inner SearchTime and the Soul: Where Has All the Meaningful Time Gone -- and Can We Get It Back?A Sense of the Cosmos: Scientific Knowledge and Spiritual TruthA Little Book on Love: A Wise and Inspiring Guide to Discovering the Gift of Love