7.15.2011

What sculpture is to a block of marble...

What sculpture is to a block of marble, education is to the soul.

Oh, SPOP! Well, tomorrow is a big reunion weekend for the Student Parent Orientation Program at UC Irvine.  Staffers (volunteers) from 1991-1995 are coming back to the area to get together, reminisce, and reunite.  Although I won't be able to be there in person, I'm dedicating this post to the amazing impact that this program (and more importantly the people) has had on my life.  This particular quote was the theme for the 1995 (Navy blue) year, and was a pivotal year in my life, where I met and got to know better some of the most influential and important people in my life.  It was an experience that was 'magical' :)  The staff generally consists of about 100 unpaid volunteers who work throughout the summer to welcome students and parents to the UC Irvine campus.  These volunteers are lead by 5 student coordinators who hire, train, and advise the staff, and plan all elements of the program.  It's a phenomenal program because everyone is allowed to be whomever they are - as all aspects of individuals in the group are celebrated and appreciated.  There is an unconditional love and respect that is rarely seen in groups that size.  I know I've written about SPOP before, and each time it brings me back to the songs, the memories, and the feelings I had that helped me to become who I am today.  Thank you SPOP!  You rock!